Use this space to put some text. Update this text in HTML

468x60 banner ad

Blog Archive

Copyright 2016 @ Breaking News. Powered by Blogger.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

for advert placement call 08024760741 and send an email to lekanbabarinde@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Nigeria’s multibillion naira drones obsolete – Israeli Expert

Vanguard reports that Tsur Dvir, a Marketing Officer for Aeronautics Defense Systems, a firm based south of Tel Aviv, that supplied Nigeria with Aerostar unmanned aerial vehicles, said yesterday that to the best of their knowledge, the drones are not operational.
"To the best of our knowledge, these systems are not operational. They (drones) are probably parked in a yard somewhere".
He said lack of maintenance have reduced their operational effectiveness and made them obsolete.  Tsur said they received a letter of inquiry for maintenance on the drones from the Nigerian govt but it was never followed through
"We did receive an inquiry from them about spare parts, but it never turned into a deal. I wish it had.” he said.
Aerospace industry experts say each drone cost between $15 million and $17 million.
   The multi-billion naira drones purchased by the Nigerian Government in 2006 for the surveillance of petroleum pipelines in the Niger Delta that might have been used by the military in the search for the missing Chibok girls are said to be obsolete due to lack of maintenance & use since they were bought
Meanwhile, Nigeria unveiled a locally-made drone at an Air Force base in Kaduna in December last year, although it has not flown since. 

Borno State to spend N150m to rehabilitate 53 escapee girls, parents

Kassim Shettima Borno State governor said the state government would spend 150 million naira for the rehabilitation of the 53 girls that escaped from boko haram abduction.The Governor made this announcement when he received the Presidential Fact Finding Committee on the missing girls in his office yesterday. Gov Shettima decried the notion by some people that the missing Chibok girls was a scam or that it was a staged attempt by the state government to stop emergency rule extension in the state. 

The Governor also revealed that since the beginning of this year, N1billion has been spent on the rehabilitation of people and places that have experienced attacks from Boko Haram.
 "In this year alone, we had spent close to one billion naira on victims. In Gwoza, we spent two hundred million naira for reconstruction of destroyed houses, markets, places of worship and to provide cash to victims so they could have something to rely on in the immediate term to feed themselves and families or start small businesses in the interim. In Bama, we spent three hundred million for same purpose; in Konduga we spent two hundred million naira" he said
Full text of his address to the Presidential Panel below
Schoolgirls Abduction: What Governor Shettima told Presidential fact finding committee today (Tuesday) in Maiduguri.Continue...

Photos from Jos market bomb blast

Over 118 people died in the commercial hub city in jos yesterday.The President has released a press statement condemning the bomb blast that occurred yesterday afternoon at Terminus market in Jos.Here is the press statement signed by his spokesman reuben abati
President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan strongly condemns the bomb blasts in Jos, Plateau state, today, describing the perpetrators of this tragic assault on human freedom as cruel and evil.  He has also directed all relevant agencies to mobilise support and relief efforts in aid of the victims. The President extends his heartfelt sympathies to the affected families and persons.
President Jonathan assures all Nigerians that government remains fully committed to winning the war against terror, and this administration will not be cowed by the atrocities of enemies of human progress and civilization. Continue...

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Real Madrid duo Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale fit to play in Champions League final

Real Madrid duo Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale will be fit to face Atletico Madrid in Saturday's Champions League final in Lisbon.
Despite former Tottenham winger Bale sitting out a morning training session, coach Carlo Ancelotti confirmed the duo's availability at a morning press briefing.
But the Italian is uncertain over the fitness of striker Karim Benzema after he picked up an abductor injury against Espanyol last weekend.
Midfielder Sami Khedira is likely to take part in the Stadium of Light showpiece.
Ronaldo was limited to working on an individual training regime with a physio after he pulled out during the warm-up of last Saturday's game as a precaution due to recent thigh problems.
"Bale has helped us a lot this season. He is in an excellent physical shape. Khedira is fit and ready to play," said Ancelotti.
And Bale confirmed he was 100% fit and the fact he sat out the morning session 'was no cause for concern'.
Speaking to Sky Sports News he said: "It's normal in the week that one or two players miss training now and again just for a bit of rest and recovery. So I'm ready to go.
"We are all very excited for the final. It's a massive game and we obviously want to win it and I can't wait for it to come round now.
source : skysport

Premier League: Louis van Gaal says Manchester United are the biggest club in the world

Louis van Gaal believes he has joined the "biggest club in the world" after his appointment as Manchester United boss was confirmed.
Van Gaal is currently with Holland as he oversees their World Cup preparations but he has spoken to Dutch TV about his new role, which he will take up once his duties in Brazil are over.
Van Gaal has previously won titles at Ajax, Barcelona, AZ Alkmaar and Bayern Munich, and is not holding back in his ambitions for United.
"The aim is to bring them back to the number-one position as soon as possible, because that's where they were under Sir Alex Ferguson," he told Dutch TV station RTL.
"It was always a wish for me to work in the Premier League.
"To work as a manager for Manchester United, the biggest club in the world, makes me very proud.
"I have managed in games at Old Trafford before and know what an incredible arena Old Trafford is and how passionate and knowledgeable the fans are. This club has big ambitions; I too have big ambitions.
"Together I'm sure we will make history."
Van Gaal also revealed that he would be meeting with Sir Alex Ferguson once he gets to England and does not envisage any issues with the former United boss - who is now a director at the club.

Nigerian girl emerges best graduating student at American university

20 year old Delta state born Merrilyn Akpapuna (pictured above) on May 10th 2014 emerged overall Best Graduating Student of Dillard University, an Ivy league school in New Orleans, USA . 
Merrilyn, the daughter of a dental surgeon, graduated with a first class honors in Psychology. She also won two other awards for highest academic achievements for the College of Arts and Sciences and College of General Studies.
Her feat made her share the podium with US First Lady, Michelle Obama, who attended the school's convocation. Merrilyn is pictured above with the President of Dillard University, Dr Walter Kimbrough. Congrats to her. What an inspiration. Continue...

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Kim & Kanye to wed in Italy, Jay Z & Beyonce have agreed to attend


A spokeswoman at Florence's mayor's office has confirmed that Kim & Kanye West will get married at Belvedere Fort in Florence, Italy on May 24th. You will find pictures from the Belvedere Fort in Florence where they will officially tie the knot after the cut. Meanwhile Radar Online is reporting that not only have Jay Z & Beyonce agreed to attend but Jay has also agreed to be Kanye's best man
 RadarOnline.com has exclusively learned that not only are Beyonce and Jay Z attending - but the “Empire State of Mind” rapper will be standing up as West’s best man.
After receiving the official RSVP from Beyonce and Jay, West was shocked to receive a surprise gift. Continue...

Made-in-Nigeria vehicles to roll out next month – FG

 Minister of State for Industry, Trade and Investment, Dr. Samuel Ortom has revealed the Federal Government's plans to roll out made-in-Nigeria vehicles into the market next month, June 2014. The Minister made this known when he received a delegation from Automobile Peugeot, France in his office in Abuja, Punch reports.

The minister, while addressing the delegation which included the company's Vice President, Mr. Yves Moulin, said the newly introduced auto policy is quite effective and is attracting automobile brands to establish assembly plants in Nigeria. Continue...
"The automotive policy is derived from the National Industrial Revolution Plan, and we are happy with the response we have been getting from the automotive industry worldwide; and with your coming, it shows that this policy is working. When the policy was introduced, people criticised it and most of them do not understand the benefit of the policy. We have had several stakeholders from the automotive industry approaching us to set up assembly plants and spare parts plants in the country. I want to assure up you on behalf of the government that we will do everything to make sure the policy succeeds.” the minister said

Friday, May 16, 2014

Osaze Odemwingie and wife welcome second son


Ini Edo Offered Scholarship To Study Law

Nollywood actress, Ini Edo, has been offered a scholarship to study Law at the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN).
The actress took to her instagram page to share the good news. She posted a picture of herself holding up her admission letter, with veteran actor Kenneth Okonkwo.
According to Ini Edo, the admission is a dream come true and she is excited about the chance.
Congratulation Ini Edo.

With £45m Adele is Britain’s richest musician under 30

26-year-old British musician,  Adele has an estimated fortune of a £45 million, a whopping £15 million more than the second-placed Scottish DJ and producer Calvin Harris, who has £30 million in the bank.

In third place, 30-year-old former Girls Aloud singer Cheryl Cole, who recently signed a deal to return to UK TV show ‘The X Factor’, is worth an estimated £16 million.

One Direction — with members Niall Horan, 20, Zayn Malik, 21, Liam Payne, 20, Harry Styles, 20, and Louis Tomlinson, 22 — share fourth place on the Sunday Times’ annual Rich List with a combined wealth of £70 million. They are each worth £14 million, a massive jump from £5 million each 12 months ago.

Rounding out the top 10 are former ‘X Factor’ winner Leona Lewis, 29, and Mumford & Sons frontman Marcus Mumford, 27, who are both worth an estimated £13 million. Marcus’ three bandmates, Ted Dwane, Ben Lovett and Winston Marshall, share 15th place on the list with assets of £8 million each.

The list is based on land and other assets such as stocks and shares, racehorses and art. The Sunday Times Rich List 2014: Richest Young Musicians:

Oprah Winfrey helps Barbara Walters say farewell

The Groundbreaking Career of Barbara Walters
NEW YORK (AP) — Oprah Winfrey and former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton surprised Barbara Walters on Thursday as the legendary newswoman taped her final edition of "The View" to end a five-decade career on television.
Actor Michael Douglas, a longtime friend and frequent subject for Walters' interviews, also dropped by for the tribute, which airs Friday on ABC at 11 a.m. EDT.
Looking smart in a cream-colored blazer and a black skirt, the 84-year-old Walters was presiding over a studio audience of friends, colleagues and fans on hand to witness a bit of history.

Negotiate with Boko Haram - Gov Shettima tells President Jonathan

The Governor of Borno state, Kashim Shettima has asked President Jonathan to negotiate with Boko Haram men if that is what it will take to release the abducted Chibok girls. Governor Shettima made this remark during an interview with CNN's Christiane Amanpour last night.
"The issue of not negotiation with the terrorists – it’s out of the question. If it means talking to the devil, it means the devil can come down, we can get back our girls. The group that kidnapped the girls are a bunch of raving lunatics.
"Do we have any other option? If I have to talk to the devil to secure the release of the girls, I will do so. President Jonathan did not act on time and did not talk to me over the kidnappings until 19 days after.’’
He also said for the first three weeks after the girls were abducted, the whole thing was politicized. 

Sudanese woman gets death sentence for marrying a Christian man

Pregnant 27 year old Sudanese woman, Mariam Yahia Ibrahim Ishag has been sentenced to death by hanging by a Sudanese court for apostasy, (that is, renouncing ones faith or religion) after marrying a Christian man 
Mariam, whose father is Muslim but raised orthodox Christian by her mother, was earlier sentenced to death by hanging on Sunday May 11th but was given till today May 15th to have a rethink and convert back to Islam before the verdict would be enforced. However during a court appearance today, Mariam maintained that she's a Christian and there's no going back. 
"We gave you three days to recant but you insist on not returning to Islam. I sentence you to be hanged to death." Judge Abbas Mohammed Al-Khalifa told the woman in court today, AFP reports  Continue...

Khalifa also sentenced Ishag to 100 lashes for "adultery".
“I am a Christian and I never committed apostasy,” she said in court.
Defending the judgement of the Sudanese judge, Ahmed Bilal Osman, Sudan's information Minister, said such judgement is not only delivered in Sudan but also in other Islamic countries

PHOTONEWS: #BringBackOurGirls Rally In Washington DC

see more photos after the court

House of Reps approves extension of Emergency rule in Borno, Yobe, Adamawa

President Jonathan had sent a letter to members of the National Assembly a few days ago requesting for extension of emergency rule in the three states. 
The Senate would have to agree to this too before it can be fully effected. Their own deliberation and voting will take place May 20th. Adamawa, Yobe and Borno states have been the worst hit since the emergency of Boko Haram.

Friday, May 2, 2014

ELECTRICITY: Consumers won’t pay after 15 days of power cut – FG -

meter
The Federal Government, yesterday, said with effect from today, electricity consumers that had no power supply for 15 days in a month are no longer required to pay the monthly N750 fixed charge to their respective Distribution Companies, Discos.
The Chairman, Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, NERC, Dr. Sam Amadi, who issued the directive at a briefing in Abuja, said it became necessary after the commission carried out investigations into complaints from consumers over continued payment of fixed charge even when service is not delivered.
Amadi said: “While the commission has determined that the fixed charge remains an essential component of the bill, it has, however, reviewed the continued retention of the fixed charge component in the tariff and payment of fixed charge in the light of consumer complaints, particularly with regard to continued payment of fixed charge even when the energy is not delivered to the consumer.

Rich black celebs, including Oprah, Diddy & Mayweather want to buy Clippers


With the Basketball Commission forcing L.A Clippers owner Donald Sterling to sell his team following his racist audio tape scandal, several high-profile black celebrities have shown interest in buying the team. Oprah Winfrey, Sean 'Diddy' Combs, Floyd Mayweather and Magic Johnson have all shown interest, especially Oprah.

Sterling, however, says his team is not for sale and won't go down without a fight. The 81 year old, who has not issued a public apology yet, bought the Clippers for $12 million in 1981. Today they are worth a staggering $575 million. Oprah is worth over $3billion...so she's capable.


The only way Sterling can be forced to give up his team is if 3/4 of the NBA owners agree to the sale.
by linda ikeji

#BringBackOurGirls – Chika Ike: “My Heart is Broken”

Chika Ike - May 2014 - BellaNaija.com

Nollywood actress Chika Ike sent BellaNaija.com a press release on the trending topic.
Read it below;
The Time to act is now.
My heart is broken, our daughters have been taken away from us. 234 has become a memorable number but not for a good cause. It’s been 2weeks and all we hear is that our daughters have been abducted, I can’t even imagine my innocence at that age.